…trip continued…

Okay, sorry for taking a while to get back to this.  I’ve been very slowly recovering. 😉

Day 4 – We basically got up, got ready, packed everything up, took it to the campground we were staying at during the tournament and went to the tournament to register.  At the tourney it was kind of boring since we hadn’t signed up for the meal and the entertainment, but had to wait for my dad to get out of parent orientation.  We got in trouble for skipping down the upstairs hall and were told to go downstairs.  😳  Unfortunately, I had taken my shoes off to skip and upon coming back to where I had left them, they were gone.  My brother and his friend proclaimed their innocence, but I knew they had done something to my flip flops.  I looked in various trash cans, and under the stairs but couldn’t find them.  I decided to frisk my brother, but didn’t find anything.  (Unfortunately, at that time a group came out, and a girl was looking at me really weird after I frisked my brother. 😉 )  A little later, my brother pulled my flip flop out of his pocket!  Guess I didn’t frisk real well. 😉  His friend pulled my other shoe out of his pocket, and all was good again. 🙂

Day 5 – The tournament started.  It didn’t get off to a real good start.  Our first debate was against a good team, and our rounds went downhill from there.  Throughout all four of the debates that day it was a constant struggle for me to try to get my mind in gear.  It would just start, and would go ka-put.  I haven’t had such bad rounds since my very first tournament.  At the table, I would know where I wanted to go with a certain argument, and when I would start to speak I still remembered.  But all of a sudden, it would vanish, and I would try to remember where I was going with the words that were attempting to come out of my mouth.  It was awful.  As far as speech goes, my first round was pretty bad.  Everyone watching looked extremely bored.  They only laughed once.  It was quite disheartening.

Day 6 – Went pretty much as bad as the prior day.  My mind finally started to run a bit in our last debate, but we had gotten a bye the fifth round, so we knew we weren’t doing so well. 😉  Tab had promised that they would get breaks out that night, so we had to wait around for 2 hours before that finally happened.  We didn’t get back to the campground till around 11:00.  But we found out that none of us had broke in debate, and only my friend with his OO and myself had broke in speech.  It was disappointing, but not bad for our first year. 😉

Day 7 – We got to sleep in a little since we were no longer debating!!  We got to the tourney around 10:00 so I could do my speech.  It went pretty well, though my speech hasn’t been going so well the last couple of tournaments.  I think I’m getting to bored with my speech, because I’m not as energetic anymore.  Anyways, I didn’t break to finals with my speech.  It was pretty sad.  I kind of had a hard time acting like it wasn’t a big deal, but I was disappointed.  After doing so well at all the other tourneys this year, it was a bit of a shock not to make it.  But, I didn’t do too bad for a novice.  I made it to Regionals!

Unfortunately, more happened that day to make me sad.  I found out that even though I was going to be able to go to the Chec Conference now, my only friend there wasn’t.  Sad day.  And then, that night, my poor debate partner had an allergic reaction to some tree nuts in the salad, and she missed much of the awards ceremony. 😦  The whole fact that this was the last tournament of the year, and the last for many of my friends, hung over everything like a cloud.  As if it couldn’t get any worse, awards went so late that we couldn’t have a ballot party afterwards!  All the pent up emotions just about spilled right there.  On the way back to the cabin all I could do was stare out the window.  I hardly talked.  The fact that I was extremely tired also probably had a significant factor to my overreacting. 😉  So, the whole tournament ended with kind of a depressed air.

Days 8-10 – Were spent in driving back home.  Nothing much happened, except for spending the night in a hotel that had bars on the windows.  :shivers:  But, God was faithful, and we made it safely throughout our entire trip!  And even if it was sad and depressing, I suppose it was cool overall.

The only thing I have left to add is, on the afternoon that we returned home my dad received and e-mail from Mrs. Pitchford.  I had been offered an at-large slot!!!  After some deliberation, it was decided that I can go with my mother.  So I qualified to Nats after all!  Truly not bad for a novice. 😉

Excuse me.  I’m going to check on how the deliberation on what transportation we are using is going. 😉



4 Responses

  1. Hi Tee-Kaye!
    That is sooo cool that you q’d to nats!!! You did better than I ever did. I never qualified to nationals. 😦
    Anyway, I’m planning on being at the CHEC Conference. So at least someone will be there. 🙂
    ~Daughter Of Zion

  2. But I’m not going now. I haven’t yet decided if I’m happy I’m going to Nats, or sad that I’m missing the conference. The past couple of days I’ve just been sad. (Mom and Dad have had Chec related meetings, so it’s brought what I’ll be missing to mind.) I tried to get my parents to buy the return plane tickets that would get us home in time for Saturday afternoon at the conference, but that is an impossibility. I guess I can’t have everything. I’ll have to console myself with Nationals.


  3. I’m going to miss you @ the conf. sooooooo much! It will be very……blah. Glad you’re going to nats though! You are going to have waaayyy too much fun.

  4. I am so proud of you though.
    Your HI really deserved it.
    It’s a really good piece.
    I bet you’ll have an amazingly fun time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: